We at Nagorik.net are from the news media and journalism, academia and from other walks of life. We respect independence, we value data privacy, and we consider transparency a cornerstone of our operations.
This Privacy Notice outlines Nagorik.net’s approach to privacy to fulfil its obligations under applicable privacy laws.
This Privacy Notice applies to all your personal data processed by us, whether in physical or electronic mode.
Throughout this document, the terms “we”, “us”, “our” and “ours” refer to Nagorik.net. The terms “you”, “your” and “yours” refer to YOU (the individual whose personal data we are referring to).
Nagorik.net is committed to keeping your personal data private.
We process any personal data we collect from you in agreement with the provisions of this Privacy Notice. Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data.
What personal data do we collect & process?
The categories of personal data that we collect and process are:
- When you sign up for our newsletter, we collect your personal data such as
- Contact details like name, email address and name.
- When you visit and browse through our website, we may collect personal data through online identifiers and other technical data like IP address, transaction logs, and device details. These are features that are standard across all websites.
Where do we obtain your personal data from?
- The personal data that you provide when you register for our service and, further, during usage of our service.
- The personal data that gets collected in the background and/or is observed about you during usage of our service.
- The personal data that gets generated during usage of our service.
How do we use your personal data?
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To deliver our services.
- To communicate with you regarding existing services availed by you, including notifications of any alerts or updates.
- To evaluate, develop and improve our services.
- For product analysis.
- To send you information about our other services which may be of interest to you.
- To handle enquiries and complaints.
- To comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
- To investigate, prevent, or act regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud and situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person.
Lawful bases of processing your personal data
We process your personal data by relying on one or more of the following lawful bases:
- You have consented to us processing your personal data for specified reasons.
- The processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation we have (for example, towards law enforcement agencies, government agencies, regulators, etc.).
- The processing is necessary for provision of certain services to you. For example,
- to communicate with you regarding existing products and services availed by you, including notifications of any alerts or updates.
- to evaluate, develop and improve our products and services.
Where the processing is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any point in time. Upon receipt of your request to withdraw your consent, the consequences of withdrawal will be communicated to you. In many cases, upon such a withdrawal, we may not be able to continue offering our products and services to you. You may withdraw consent by contacting us at email@example.com
When do we share your personal data with third parties?
We may use third parties in the provision of our products and services to you. We may share your personal data with such third parties that we use to deliver and distribute our stories. We have appropriate contracts in place with all such third parties. This means that they are not permitted to do anything with your personal data which is outside of the scope specified by us. They are committed to hold your personal data securely and retain it only for the period specified in our contracts with them.
- Reasons for sharing your personal data with third parties:
We may disclose your personal data to third parties only where it is lawful to do so. This includes instances where we or they:
- need to provide you with services.
- have asked you for your consent to share it, and you have agreed.
- have a legal obligation to do so. For example, to assist with detecting and preventing fraud.
- have a requirement in connection with regulatory reporting, litigation or asserting or defending legal rights and interests.
We may also disclose your personal data to appropriate authorities if we believe that it is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, or legal process; protect the safety of any person; address fraud, security or technical issues; or protect our rights or the rights of those who use our products and services.
- With whom your personal data may be shared:
We may disclose your personal data to the following third parties:
- other group companies that are essential to hosting and distributing our content. For example, we host our podcasts on YouTube and use WordPress hosting services for content management.
- law enforcement authorities, government authorities, courts, dispute resolution bodies, regulators, auditors, and any party appointed or requested by applicable regulators to carry out investigations or audits of our activities.
- statutory and regulatory bodies, authorities (including the government) investigating agencies and entities or persons, to whom or before whom it is mandatory to disclose personal data as per the applicable law, courts, judicial and quasi-judicial authorities and tribunals, arbitrators and arbitration tribunals.
Cross-border data transfer
Personal data we hold about you may be transferred to other countries outside of India for any of the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.
Any personal data will be protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice as well as with adequate protections in place in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information about your actions to the owners of the website.
Most web browsers allow you some control of cookies through browser settings.
Outlined below are the categories of cookies along with a description of what they are used for.
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These cookies are needed to run our website, to keep it secure, and to comply with regulations that apply to us.
- Functional Cookies: We may use functional cookies on our website. These cookies allow us to remember information you enter or choices you make (such as your username, language, or your region) and provide you with enhanced, more personalized features.
- Performance/Analytics Cookies: We may use performance/analytics cookies on our website. These cookies collect information about how visitors use our website and services, including which pages visitors go to most often and if they receive error messages from certain pages. It is used to improve how our website functions and performs.
- Marketing Cookies: We may use marketing cookies on our website. These cookies help us decide which of our products, services and offers may be relevant for you. We may use this data to tailor what you see on websites and mobile apps, including social media. For instance, you may see our ads on other sites after you have been to our website.
- We may also use trackers (such as web beacons, tags and pixels) on our website and other digital properties to collect data about you.
How do we secure your personal data?
We are committed to protecting your personal data in our custody. We take reasonable steps to ensure appropriate physical, technical, and managerial safeguards are in place to protect your personal data from unauthorized access, alteration, transmission, and deletion. We ensure that the third parties who provide services to us under appropriate contracts take appropriate security measures to protect your personal data in line with our policies.
If you have any concerns with the way your personal data is stored in our systems, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep the personal data we collect about you for as long as it is required for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice and for legal or regulatory reasons. We take reasonable steps to delete or permanently de-identify your personal data that is no longer needed.
If you are a parent or guardian and are aware that your child has provided us with their personal data by subscribing or signing in to Nagorik.net, you may reach out to us by emailing us if you no longer want your child’s personal data to be processed or retained. Please contact us at email@example.com
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to websites of other organizations. This privacy notice does not cover how those organizations process your personal data. We encourage you to read the privacy notices on the other websites you visit.
For any further queries and complaints related to privacy, or exercising your rights, you could reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Notification of changes
We regularly review and update our Privacy Notice to ensure it is up-to-date and accurate. Any changes we may make to this Privacy Notice in future will be posted on this page.
Your privacy rights
You have a right to access the data that you have provided. You also have a right to update or make corrections to data that you have provided. The accuracy of such data is solely your responsibility.
If you wish to make a request to exercise any of your rights, email us at email@example.com